As we are at the beginning of what we expect could be a challenging few months, we need to get used to a new ‘new normal’ and this brings us back to the topic of digital communications!
We will all now be very used to videoconferencing, working remotely, and all of those small issues that you can experience when ‘Zooming in’ (other brands are available)! It could be that slightly poor internet connection, completely messy room, distractions from your phone, email, or something (or somebody…) else.
You may not realise it, but it is quite important to give some thought to video call etiquette! Why we hear you ask? Why should you even worry about it? Well, unless you are on a video call with someone you know very well, you will have an image that you will want to maintain and a reputation to be upheld.
When it comes to video call etiquette, here are our top things to get spot-on:
- Always have a stable internet connection: after all, you don’t want to be the person who is always dropping out.
- Dress appropriately: we’ve probably all heard about the ‘Zoom suit’. Shirt on top, PJ’s on the bottom. Whilst that is, in principle fine, just be aware that you probably won’t want to stand up!
- Remove distractions: are the kids home or do you have a dog who likes to take over your attention? Make sure they are distracted and you have a space to hold your call in.
- Look at your camera lens: try not to look at the screen and certainly don’t look at your phone (we know you do it)!
- Think about your backdrop: You may opt to use a virtual background, but if you do not then we recommend hiding that dressing gown that is on the back of the door and making sure your drying washing is not in full view.
If you need any advice about how to get your videoconferencing set up or have a slow, unreliable internet connection that just does not help matters then drop us a call and we will be more than happy to help!